If you are jetting out to a tropical island, a beach destination, or somewhere exotic in the world for your wedding, read our top tips for picking the perfect dress to take with you!
– If there is a lot of travel required, pick a dress that won’t crease too easily when packed. Some materials tend to crease more than others – keep an eye on this when selecting or designing your dress. If you have really fallen in love with a dress that will need a little bit of TLC after a long haul flight, invest in a portable steamer, with an adapter, and don’t forget to use a protective cloth too.
– Particularly important if you have connecting flights, choose a dress than you could pack and carry as hand luggage, whether in a box of the dimensions allowed by the airline, or in a suit bag, which the flight attendants can store away on the flight. That way, you can be sure that the dress will reach its destination with you and not get lost or delayed in connections – provided you don’t forget it onboard yourself!!
– Even if you have chosen to use a Wedding Dress Travel Box, bring a dress cover with you, and ask if the dress could be hung (covered) during the flight. If they have the space, most cabin crew would be happy to help and your dress will be less stressed in flight.
– Don’t hesitate to tell people that you’re carrying a wedding dress! Most people are happy to help, and will accommodate you putting a dress bag flat in the overhead compartment if you have to, on top of other smaller luggage items.
– Try to get to board early, whether it is through priority boarding supplements, or a premium flight ticket. This way, you get a bit more time to get organised without the crowds gathering behind you in the aisles.
– When you reach your destination, get your dress out of its cage as quickly as possible and let it hang naturally, always keeping it covered to protect it against dust, dirt, and anything else that might make it look less than pristine.
– Bring a little emergency sewing kit, just in case there are accidents! A needle, white / ivory thread, small scissors and some safety pins are just enough.
And if money were no object, travelling first class, or buying a seat for your dress may help keeping it as fresh as can be!
Atelier 5 designs and makes bespoke wedding dresses and occasion wear,. Whether you are having a winter wedding, a hot tropical wedding, a city wedding or a countryside wedding, we take into consideration all your needs and requirements to design and co-create with you, the perfect dress for the moment. To have your own wedding dress designed and made for you, contact us.
The photos for this blog have been kindly shared by our bride and groom Fay and Eric, and were taken by photographer Tristan Chaillet on their wedding in Mauritius.